Ah yes…Valentine’s Day. That time of year when we attempt to show that special person in our lives just how much we adore them. It sounds simple enough but buying the perfect gift for a man can leave even the most romantic and resourceful woman baffled. For those needing a little help in this department here are some suggestions on a Valentine’s Day gift for him that’s sure to please even the most hard to buy for guy.
Is your man a romantic at heart? If so, try turning the tables and taking him for a special night out. Make the dinner reservations, pick him up (if you live separately) and pick up the tab while you’re at it. He’s sure to appreciate you taking the initiative. Another tip—don’t forget the flowers. A survey by Bruskin/Goldring Research found that 61% of men of all ages would secretly love to receive flowers on Valentine’s Day, yet only 40% report ever being the recipient of a bouquet in the past. So to score extra points with your guy make your first stop of the evening at a florist shop.
For the sports minded man tickets to see his favorite team is a sure way to score some points in the romance department. Even if game day isn’t on February 14th just presenting him with the tickets on Valentine’s Day will not only thrill him but give him something to look forward to. If your man is more of a music aficionado concert tickets to see his favorite singer or band are sure to please. Just remember that if the event isn’t on Valentine’s Day you may want to make the giving of the tickets a special event in itself to mark the occasion. Try cooking him his favorite meal and hiding the tickets in his napkin or make a scavenger hunt type game out of it where he has to search your home for clues to where his present is hidden. Make the game really worth while by hiding the tickets in bed—a great place to end up anyway.
For those men that love to be pampered a “his and hers” day at the spa adds just the right touch of romance to the special day. If possible, try and book your treatments so that you can both enjoy them together in the same room. For best results try a manicure/pedicure combo followed by an hour long full body massage. He’ll be putty in your hands afterwards. To make a good thing even better, book your spa day in a hotel and reserve a room for the evening. Afterwards saunter up to your suite, order room service and make use of that hot tub for two.
Lastly, we have the practical man. We won’t call him “unromantic” but let’s just say he’s not the flowers and day spa type. No need to fret, there’s a perfect Valentine’s Day gift out there for him too. For that armchair quarterback the Beer Machine is a gadget that brews, ferments, carbonates and dispenses 2.6 gallons of home made brews in one foolproof machine. If “do it yourself” isn’t his mug of ale then try signing him up for a Beer of the Month Club. This can be done easily online and he’ll have great tasting, high quality beer delivered right to his door. This is a great way for him to try new brands from microbreweries around the country.
So no matter if your man loves romance and candlelight or brews in the backyard, with a little forethought and effort you can snag the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for him.
With the most amorous holiday quickly approaching, husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends begin the ultimate quest of the year: the search for the perfect gift. For some, it’s off to the mall. For others, shopping outlets, independent merchants and superstores like Wal-Mart, Target and the like. For still others – the lazier, or more time efficient, which ever way you look at it – the Internet plays a key role.
As you plan your shopping for your sweetheart this year, some careful thought and anticipation are necessary to ensure that you find an appropriate gift. Below are some suggestions for him and for her – consider them for a special treat or use your imagination and start searching the stores!
For Him: A holiday treat for the one who gives you butterflies…
- For the sports fanatic, get him a warm and cozy blanket of his favorite athletic team so the two of you can snuggle while you watch the game together. See, everybody wins.
- Nothing says “Happy Tailgating” like a case of beer, snacks and a delicious dinner for two, all packed into a brand new thermal cooler. Do some research and you will find that some have both heating and cooling capacities so you can bring your meals along for longer road trips.
- Make him a calendar to kick off the New Year with photos of the two of you throughout the year, or simply with photos of yourself that you know he will enjoy.
- Pay attention to what he talks about on a daily basis – does he want something electronic? A new gadget for his car? A couple of new movies or CDs or video games? Start to think like a guy and you should have a much easier time finding the perfect gift!
- Books, magazines and board games may also appeal to him if you know his particular tastes. Try to link his hobbies with the publications and print items you select.
For Her: A special gift for the one who never ceases to dazzle you…
- A silk robe is a sexy yet sophisticated gift for a woman of any age. Adding a bottle of bubble bath or a bath-related gift set is a nice touch. To follow up with the theme, you can give her slippers and a book you know she’s had her eye on since last Valentine’s Day!
- Scented candles, if she likes them for burning or decorative purposes, are a wonderful gift because of their diversity. Based on her tastes, candles are designed in a wide array of shapes, sizes and fragrances. Aromatherapy candles make nice gifts for someone who likes to relax while candles with a hurricane votive are great for those who share a love in interior decorating. Couple them with massage oil (that you intend to use for her aching muscles), pajamas or a snuggly stuffed animal and you should be in her good graces for months to come!
- A bottle of wine and a nice set of wine glasses make for a classy gift while some chocolates or desserts will likely earn you extra favor. (Or save the chocolates as an escape hatch in case you need one…)
- Anything handmade will really get her heart going. If you do wood crafts, make something special just for her. If you like art, paint or sketch something that you know she loves. If your talents are more within the realm of words and music, compose a song for her or write her a poem. Frame it or give it to her as a scroll, loosely tied and penned on parchment paper.
- Take her to see a show, a concert or the orchestra, or for a romantic walk through one of the holiday locations. Many public gardens and some theme parks are decorated especially for the holidays, encouraging couples, families and friends to stroll through the winter wonderland.
- Though we may try to hide it sometimes, most women adore jewelry. From earrings to necklaces to bracelets and rings, it is pretty hard to go wrong with a sparkly, as long as you have a general idea of her style and know whether your love prefers silver or gold. If you want to be different, get her a jewelry box for safekeeping. Just don’t be surprised if she expects you to fill it! (You can lovingly tell her that you’ll have a long time together in which to fill it.)
- Preserve the memories by putting together a nice photo album, scrapbook or collage. Include pictures from events long past that he or she might smile with surprise upon seeing. If you wish, include movie ticket stubs and sporting event stubs, or other memorabilia from dates you have shared.
- If it realistically fits into your collective lifestyle, a puppy or kitten will melt their heart on even the chilliest winter’s eve. As a word of caution, do not attempt this gift if you are not 100% sure that your sweetheart would be completely thrilled with the pet and able to take care of it. (Keep their work schedule in mind as you make your decision.)
- A brand new watch can instantly become a favorite new possession – as with the jewelry, keep in mind the preferred color of the metal and size, etc.
Expressing one’s love is far more important during the holidays than the gift beneath all the bows, ribbons and wrapping. The spirit of Christmas may be the spirit of giving, but giving does not always have to relate to money. Be sure to give of your time by visiting those who are most important to you – parents, grandparents and those you know who could use a shoulder to lean on if times are tough. It’s not the price tag but thoughtfulness and love that create the best gifts.
If you want to make this coming Valentine’s Day one that you will remember for years to come, but are out of ideas, a quick visit to Hips and Curves will definitely get you creatives juices flowing. There are many ways how you can spice up the night, and make it a memorable one.
Prepare a nice romantic dinner for your partner. Some red wine and a touch of candle-light is obviously essential. Also essentials is some sexy plus size lingerie for you to wear when dessert time finally arrives! (Or perhaps you might choose to wear it all night!)
A sex piece of lingerie which should work wonders to give you a sexy look is a corset. Now just because you are a plus size woman does not mean you have to settle for anything boring and out-dated. Our friends at Hips and Curves offer a great selection of plus size corsets, which are hot, sexy and most of all, made for curves, so they will fit your figure better than the average lingerie would.
Here is an idea of what type of corsets you can find at Hips and Curves. There are my top picks for this Valentine’s Day:
Romantic Rhinestone Corset
This is a stretch velvet corset with a separating rhinestone zipper. Features form fitting lace up back and removable garters and comes with matching g-string.
Chinese Jacquard Corset
This gorgeous Asian-inspired curvy corset has lace-up back, light boning and arrives with a matching G-string.
Satin Jacquard Corset
This sexy plus size corset makes for some hot, steamy and delayed passion when your lover has to unlace the ribbons down the back of your corset! If you are in a hurry you can just undo the hook and eye front, but why make it easy?
Candy Cane Corset
This super cute, and yet very sexy, candy cane corset has a strapless, cleavage enhancing design. The medium strength boning gives enough support to create a smooth, shapley waistline but still lets you eat and breathe and enjoy your Valentine’s Day. Matching G-string included.
Valentine’s Day is less than a month away! If you already have plans for the day, but do not know what to wear, Torrid’s new Valentine Shop should definitely help you choose the right items for a special night. If you still do not know what you’re doing on the day, Torrid’s pieces might inspire you.
If you are going on a dinner date, one of these cute and feminine dresses might do the trick:
If however, you’re staying indoors for a cozy and sexy evening with your partner, the options below might help you keep things warm on a cold Winter’s night:
For more plus size accessories to help you make Valentine’s Day extra special, do visit the special Valentine’s Collection available at Torrid.
To all my curvy readers…
There is always a good reason to add some style and glamour to your lingerie collection. But what better reason than Valentine’s Day?
Now is the time to look into your intimates drawer and see whether an update is needed. To help make your decision making process much easier, especially on your wallet, Torrid have just launched a great lingerie sale. All of their best lingerie is now on sale!
- 50% off select plus size lingerie and sleepwear (through 18th February only).
- All $8 panties are now $5!
- Bras regularly prices at $32-36 are now $24.99.
- Select bras for only $9.99.
- All $12 panties are now $8.34.
The sale is running online through 26th February, 2008. Why not visit Torrid today?
Valentine’s Day is soon approaching. Yes people, the big love day is next week! Can you feel the love oozing from practically wherever you look? Personally I am not one to celebrate Valentine’s Day in a big way, not one to make too much fuss about it, nor expect any big gifts. I prefer the simple approach, an extra special home cooked meal, eaten by candle light… followed by some cuddling on the couch with a glass of wine. Now that’s celebrating!
What I do like about Valentine’s Day though, is that it kind of gives me an extra push to take a look at my lingerie collection and see where I can update myself. Nothing says “Let’s get some new lingerie!” quite like Valentine’s Day really, and I have been making my window shopping rounds, and have come up with a fun and sexy wish list. I thought, why not share this with you to get your in the lovey dovey mood as well…
1. Cuban Heel Contrast Top Stocking
For a vintage look and feel these Cuban heel stockings have red contrasting top, backseam and heel. Available in red/nude. Muy caliente!
2. Lace and Stretch Satin Corset
Back in the 1800’s looking like an hourglass meant not breathing. Fortunately, today’s corset has been reinvented with styles that are comfortable as well as supportive. This plus size stretch satin corset with contrasting lace and boning looks just as glamorous as it feels. Delicate ribbon runs through the lace and ties into pretty bows over the bust and hips for a vintage look. A hook and eye adjustable back combined with adjustable straps and garters shows we’ve come a long way, Milady. Choose from bright rose with black lace trim, purple with black trim, black with pink trim, light blue/white, or pink/white. Matching G-string included!
3. Stretch Satin and Lace Bustier
Stretch satin bustier has floating, slightly padded underwire bra with lace detailing. Hook and eye back, adjustable straps, removable garters. Comes with matching G-string.
4. Satin Jacquard Corset
This sexy plus size corset makes for some hot, steamy and delayed passion when your lover has to unlace the ribbons down the back of your corset. If you are in a hurry you can just undo the hook and eye front, but why make it easy. Good things come to those who wait. But on to the corset details: our tapestry-like, long line jacquard and lace corset has lightly padded underwire cups for support, body-shaping side, front and back boning, plus a waist cinching lace-up back. This sexy plus size corset comes with adjustable straps, garters and includes matching G-string. Are you ready to have some fun?!
5. Rose Lace Bodystocking
This plus size bodystocking is for the truly romantic. Cover your curves in dreamy rose lace when you slip into this bodystocking. Wear it in nothing but your stocking feet or a with a pair of simple, classic high heel pumps. Rose lace bodystocking has spaghetti straps and open crotch. This plus size bodystocking comes in black or red.
So what do you think?
If you were wondering what the IGIGI team will be wearing for Valentine’s Day, it’s your lucky day as the girl have decided to spill the beans!
Members of the IGIGI crew this week spill the secrets and come out in the light with their favorite IGIGI items. Sticking to traditional Valentine’s themes, some of the went for black and red, through some were bold to go as far as brown and raisin! However you’re celebrating Valentine’s day, here is the IGIGI crew at the best, showing off what they will be wearing this Valentine’s day.
Tara - Wholesale Manager
Brocade Lace Wrap Top and Lena Palazzo Pants in Black
“When Valentine’s Day comes around, and I get the pleasure of an evening out on the town with my husband I want to look beautiful. More importantly I want to be comfortable in what I am wearing so that I can enjoy the evening to the fullest. This year I found the perfect outfit to be both sexy and comfortable on Valentine’s Day. The Brocade Lace Wrap Top is exactly what I was looking for. It is sexy and classic with its luxurious, Spanish inspired black and red lace and wrap style. Pair it up with an old favorite, the Lena Palazzo Pants in black, and there is the comfort. The fabric drapes and flowers with your every move. Add some knock out evening heels and that special piece of jewelry that makes your feel like a Queen and let the night take your where it will. Enjoy!”
Lana - Textile Designer
Hollywood Diva Satin Gown with Matching Shawl in Red
“I am in such awe with this dress. It looks so dreamy when you see it on a woman as she moves.”
Masha - Marketing Manager
Asymmetric Hem Tunic in Raisin
“I love this top; it’s long, it covers your hips and provides a slimming look. The asymmetric detail gives it a funky twist, making it stand out with no need to accessorize. Throw it on jeans or any other pants and you will look great. It’s a winner!”
Megan - Retail Associate
Lace Overcoat and Little Black Dress
“Did somebody say curves? These two hot numbers accentuate all of the right ones to create an elegant and sexy look. Not only are they perfect for Valentine’s Day, but they would also look extremely stylish over a pair of jeans with a belt for a more casual night out on the town.”
Lucie - Design Associate
Eternal Beauty Gown
“I love the Eternal Beauty Gown in red because… hmmm red and sexy, with some cleavage and a beautiful neckline, what does that make? Oh yeah, the perfect Valentine’s Day dress which will make my date go crazy.”
Alison - Customer Service
“I love the Novella Gown because I feel glamorous and daring.”
Jennifer - Graphic Designer
Catalina Dress in Brown
“I get so many compliments every time I wear this dress, especially from the male species. It’s an easy throw on an just-look good with minimum effort dress.”
Ozlem - Marketing & Media Coordinator
Andrea Tuxedo Pants in Black, Michelle Godet Skirt in Black/Red, Celine Lace Gown
“My favorites for Valentine’s Day or any other special day? I can’t just choose one! Can I do five? Ok, I will settle for three. I think I must have blogged the hell out of the tuxedo pants. They are do elegant! I would just pair it with a white crisp shirt with ruffles and red stilettos and a red clutch. Michelle just reminds me of Carmen seductively plain with her skirt as she flirted with Don Jose. And Celine, oh Celine! I want you, so bad! Besides being a sucker for lace, I am the biggest fan of this dress because it shows off just the right amount of skin on the chest, and legs and creates a dramatic, powerful effect with the overdress.”
And there you have it. Valentine’s Day choices from the IGIGI team. This will definitely give you a head start if you’re stuck and unsure what to wear on Valentine’s Day!